There are a couple exciting International Right of Way Association (IRWA) events coming up next week:
- On April 26, I will be participating in IRWA Chapter 1's (Los Angeles) 2016 Annual Valuation Seminar. I will be presenting with Brad Thompson of Mason & Mason on "Project Benefits and Construction-Related Impacts: Tangible or Speculative?".
- On April 29, I will also be participating in IRWA Chapter 42's (San Jose) 4th Annual Spring Conference. I will be presenting with my partner, Artin Shaverdian, and Steve Parent of Bender Rosenthal on "The Value of Transit Proximity: Assessing ...
In the last month, the U.S. Supreme Court has declined to hear appeals on two eminent domain-related cases. The first case, California Building Industry Association v. City of San Jose, is one we discussed last year. If you recall, the California Supreme Court held that San Jose's inclusionary housing ordinance that required all new residential development projects of 20 or more units to sell at least 15 percent of the for-sale units at a price that is affordable to low or moderate income households did not impose an exaction on developers that constituted a taking.
The U.S ...
When LifeChoices sought to expand its rehabilitation center in 2002, the City of San Jose rejected the proposal, citing its plans for a future Berryessa Bay Area Rapid Transit ("BART") station, which would require freeway interchange improvements on the property. According to John Woolfolk's October 23 Mercury News article, "San Jose to pay $2 million to acquire parcel and settle lawsuit," five years later LifeChoices' owner, John Licking, filed suit, challenging the City of San Jose's denial as constituting discrimination against the disabled.
Now, San Jose has agreed to pay ...
California Eminent Domain Report is a one-stop resource for everything new and noteworthy in eminent domain in California. We cover all aspects of eminent domain in California, including condemnation, inverse condemnation, and regulatory takings. We also keep track of current cases, project announcements, budget issues, legislative reform efforts, and report on all major California eminent domain conferences and seminars.
Stay ConnectedRSS Feed
- CLIMATE CHANGE
- Court Decisions
- GOVERNMENT ADMINISTRATION
- Inverse Condemnation & Regulatory Takings
- New Legislation
- Public Agency Law
- Regulatory Reform and Proposed Rules
- Right of Way
- Right to Take